If you are trained as, or training to be, an Early Years’ practitioner, educator, teacher or child minder this course will enable you to deliver fun and meaningful physical activity to children aged 2-5 years with confidence. You will also learn how to promote healthy eating and active living to the families of the children in your care.
Content and structure
There are three mandatory units in this course, covering the following topics:
• Child development
• Physical literacy and its role in wellbeing
• How to plan and deliver physically-active play
• Healthy eating for young children
• How to promote healthy eating and active lifestyles
Delivery and duration
This course is delivered via blended learning utilising e-learning, participation in a face-to-face training day and distance assessment.
The course is self-paced and you have up to 6 months to complete it, although the actual time will be dependent on your access to a suitable group of children and your personal motivation.
Throughout the course you will receive support from the YSD team, including:
• Technical support in relation to accessing the e-learning and using the online learning management system
• Access to your tutor/assessor, the Learning Support Officer and the Curriculum Manager who collectively will be able to offer you help, advice and guidance in relation to the course content, the training venue and facilities, assessment and any adjustments required, and anything else you want help with!
• Distance tutorials to assess your initial requirements and goals, reflect on your achievements and challenges to date and on your next steps
You will be assessed remotely through the following assessment methods:
• Online short-answer questions that relate to the e-learning modules: Child Development, and Promoting Healthy Eating and Active Lifestyles to Families
• Worksheets and projects
• Practical demonstration (via video) of you delivering a physically-active play session
You will receive the Active IQ Level 3 Award in Supporting Physical Development and Physical Activity in the Early Years following successful completion of the assessment tasks.
To access this course you need to be aged 16 or over and have sufficient literacy and numeracy skills to study at Level 3.
You also need to have achieved, or be working towards, a recognised qualification at Level 2 or above in Child Care and Education or Child Care, Learning and Development. The qualification needs to be at least certificate-size or have a Total Qualification Time of more than 150 hours.
Achievement of the qualification may lead to enhanced employment opportunities in the Early Years sector.
You may decide that you want to progress your studies in health and wellbeing further; for example to qualifications in Fitness and Activity Leadership or Promoting Community Health and Wellbeing.
Dates and venues
There are no set dates or venues for this course. We can deliver bespoke learning for groups of 10 or more. Please call Bev on 01509 226675.
The product fee includes an annual licence for a single user. The user has unlimited access to the e-learning for 12 months from the date of enrolment. After this time, they will need to renew their licence by re-purchasing the product, should they wish to extend their access.