If you wish to quality assure (verify) the assessment practice within a vocational training centre or work environment, then this course could be for you. You might already be an assessor, working in the Further Education or Skills sector.
Content and structure
There are two mandatory units in this course, covering the following topics:
• The principles and requirements of internal quality assurance
• Planning internal quality assurance
• Evaluating, maintaining and improving the quality of assessment
• Managing information
• Legal and good practice requirements in relation to internal quality assurance
Delivery and duration
This course is delivered via blended learning utilising e-learning, participation in a face-to-face training day and distance assessment.
The course is self-paced and you have up to 6 months to complete it, although the actual time will be dependent on your access to assessors of a suitable vocational course and your personal motivation.
Throughout the course you will receive support from the YSD team, including:
• Technical support in relation to accessing the e-learning and using the online learning management system
• Access to your tutor/assessor, the Learning Support Officer and the Curriculum Manager who collectively will be able to offer you help, advice and guidance in relation to the course content, the training venue and facilities, assessment and any adjustments required, and anything else you want help with!
• Distance tutorials to assess your initial requirements and goals, reflect on your achievements and challenges to date and on your next steps
You will be assessed remotely through the following assessment methods:
• Written questions and discussion with your assessor
• Demonstration of you conducting the internal quality assurance of assessment within a centre
• Completion of paperwork associated with this activity
You will receive the YMCA Level 4 Award in the Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice following successful completion of the assessment tasks.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course; however, it is strongly recommended that you have experience of assessing knowledge and skills for a vocational subject.
To pass the assessment you will need to have access to two vocational assessors with a minimum of two learners each.
With experience you will be able to undertake a further qualification, the Level 4 Certificate in Leading the Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice, to enable you to carry out the role of lead quality assurer.
Dates and venues
There are no set dates or venues for this course. We can deliver bespoke learning for groups of 10 or more. Please call Bev on 01509 226675.